Sunday, July 13, 2008

What a Gift!

It wasn't always thus, nor will it always be.

I'm not naturally a morning person, and I don't recall exactly what I had in mind when I wrote this one; perhaps I was trying to cheer myself up.

Perhaps I had just discovered the magic of retirement: No more punching the clock, no more deadlines, no more phones ringing ... no more ...

It may well have been that I was recalling my childhood outlook, that time in my life when each day seemed a new adventure, a new leaf, a new chapter in the book that was to become my life.

I don't know.

But I do know that I look forward to the new day now ... despite some of the concerns that always seem to have spilled over from the day before.

It does beckon like a new toy and, best of all, it comes with "batteries included," whether "just for me" or not.

WHAT A GIFT!

What excitement

as I tear off

the wrapping paper,

open the box,

and find inside

a whole new day,

batteries included,

just for me.

© 1996

(originally published in Capper's)

***

Today's word: gift

No comments: