Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Interlude

Today's poem likely began life somewhat larger than the version I'm sharing with you today.

That's not unusual. When a poem ... or what may become a poem ... begins to present itself to me, I often just let the words just go trickling across the page. Sometimes that works. Sometimes not.

In between that kind of beginning, and publication, there is a lot of revision. That usually means tightening. Fewer words. More left to the imagination of the reader.

Does this one work? Well, the editor thought it did ... but I tend to think the reader has the final say on that.

If you've ever watched the sunshine come crawling (swarming?) through a window, the poem may work for you as it did for me. If not, well, ... it may still be food for thought:

INTERLUDE

See how the sun

comes crawling

through the window,

like hungry bees

on a single sprig

of goldenrod.

© 1997

(originally published in Midwest Poetry Review)

***

Today's word: crawling

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

I'm glad you stopped by, Helen ... and enjoyed the interlude. Hope you had a good session of swimming exercises, too ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, it works!  So does the curtain.  It was a beautiful picture you painted in the poem...and as usul, goes on and on in my mind's eye--or brain...wherever they do that.  It'll get me through my swimming exercises that I'm ready for.  Had to check this before I left and it did the trick.