Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Heading South

I was out for my daily walk when I saw those geese rising ... stood watching them ... don't remember if I sat at the next bus stop to put my reactions on paper, or waited till I got home ... but I had a poem in the making, right there on that street.

The poem:

HEADING SOUTH

Just beyond the trees

giving up their gaudy

leaves of autumn, five geese

rise slowly, dark against

a mottled sky, heading

generally southward,

seeking those highways

that the wild geese take,

while I stand rooted

where chance has put me.

I shall think of them,

wishing vaguely that I had

their gift of flight

as I ride out the storms

of winter, waiting to hear

their honking again,

telling me the season

is breaking, melting into

spring, skein of renewal

linking those who can fly,

those who can only wish.

© 1997

(originally published in Capper's)


***

Today's word: renewal

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

Thank you, Helen, for stopping by again ... and leaving a comment. I had much the same experience of hearing/seeing the geese when I was a youngster ... witnessing their "bringing spring" when they flew north ... and giving us fair warning that winter was coming, when they headed the other way. Oh, and in my excitement at finding your comment, I hadn't even noticed the spelling of geese. Best wishes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thoughts, pictures, and especially, the wording (not a very poetic comment) are wonderful.  When we moved into town and I was a little girl, we'd hear the honks from the gueese and we'd all run out and look up and see their path--and as you indicated...wish I could join them.  It was such a thrill, and good education from my parents.  So is this poem. Helen

Anonymous said...

If I could go back to my comment I'd spell "geese" right.