Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Cool Hat

I know, I should throw it away ... at the very least, not wear it in public.

But I can't bear to give it up. It's my hat. We've been together so long, through so many things. It's like a part of me. And there it sits, "like a cabbage leaf on my head."

The poem began, as many poems do, while I was out walking, this time with Phyllis.

Actually, we encountered two young girls, strolling in the other direction. Strangers, but I probably smiled and spoke.

One of them smiled and said something in reply, but I didn't catch what it was.

After we had walked far enough that I thought we were out of earshot of the two, I asked Phyllis: What did she say?

Cool hat, she replied.

Cool hat?

That's right. Cool hat, she assured me.

That's when I had the impulse to toss my hat in the air and do a few dance steps right there. Who says I'm not in touch with the younger generation?

Today's poem, part of a manuscript in search of a publisher:

COOL HAT

It has been

wind-stripped,

limb-grabbed,

lost and found,

rumpled, crumpled,

laundered until

it cries for mercy,

and it sits like

a cabbage leaf

on my head.

But then she,

a young girl about

half my height,

flashes a smile,

says, "Cool hat!"

and for a moment,

just a heartbeat,

a quickened stride,

I feel like

tossing my hat

in the air

and dancing.

© 1999

(orignally published in Capper's)

***

Today's word: heartbeat

Afterthoughts ...in response to your comments:

No, I haven't read Ghost Eyed Tree, Helen, butI'm putting it on my list of things to read (I'm particularly intrigued by the prospect of seeing watercolor illustrations) ... and I thank you for the tip. Oh ... and I'm delighted that you liked the poem ... "Cool Hat," that is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read the children's book..."Ghost Eyed Tree?"  It involves a hat like yours.  The watercolor pictures in it are very charming.  Please look at it if you are in a library or book store...or call them and see if they have it. You'd enjoy it and worth seaking out.   I own it and it's...somewhere--can't give it away.  I always read it to my classes and showed them the pictures.  It's not new.  If you have a Border's, if it's not still in print, they'll order it on used books and tell you the condidtion...and hardly ever costs more than $11.00 and they pay the postage.  

This poem is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

PS...when I said, "This poem is wonderful"  I meant yours today...not the book the Ghost Eyed Tree...that is not poetry.  When I read it over, it sounded like I wasn't talking about your poem.  I really like it.  When you get a chance to read the children's book I mentioned, you'll see the connection.
Helen