Tuesday, July 8, 2008

All Those Trees

Aha! I'm here a little earlier today ... but I'm running late.

How can that be? Well, it's a long story, and I don't have time for details ... (so what else is new?) ... so, let's just say right at this moment I should be pulling things together for watercolor class ... grabbing a bite of breakfast ... responding to yesterday's comments ...

But there I go again, getting you bogged down in details.

I do have a poem to share, though. I hope you'll find a cool spot where you can park yourself ... read the poem ... take a look at the picture (providing I've found time to post that, too) ... and ... well, just enjoy the day.

The poem:

ALL THOSE TREES

We'd grown tired of winding

along with the other tourists

through the aromatic rows

upon rows of captive plants,

felt our own tendrils tugging

gently toward a nearby hill.

We had paused half-way up

when there was a sudden

flutter of excited footsteps,

the clatter of young laughter,

and we were swiftly engulfed

by a surging flood of children

racing tree-to-tree, so intent

on their game they didn't see

us standing there, recalling

a game we had played so like

theirs, savoring the memories,

and now, loving all those trees.

© 2001

(originally published in St. Anthony Messenger)

***

Today's word: aromatic

No comments: