Saturday, July 12, 2008

Unsinkable Tulips

The photo, I must confess, isn't my best. But it does sort of go with today's poem. I like the profusion of blossoms, even though they may be a little fuzzy, a little out of focus (actually, a lot out of focus, but you get the idea, right?).

So is the general outlook ... a little fuzzy, a little out of focus (but isn't that so often the case?) ... when I say with confidence, as I often do when we're struggling through another Ohio winter: Remember, we're another day closer to ...

Right now I'm reminding myself that autumn is not that far away ... with some cooler temperatures ... and those colors which I find so calming, comforting, healing.

Of course, I know that winter follows. It has some visual assets, too ... some snows can be beautiful ... but at the price of bitter cold ... and the cold seems to become more bitter as I age.

But then I keep reminding myself that we're another day closer to ... ah, yes, spring ... and I survive the winter.

Meanwhile, the poem:

UNSINKABLE TULIPS

We fretted over

spring's unseasonable

warmth, then frost, snow,

bitter, freezing nights,

and our hopes withered,

but here you are

again, reds and yellows

defiantly brilliant,

leaving us wondering

why we ever doubted.

© 2002

(originally published in PKA's Advocate)

***

Today's word: profusion

Afterthoughts ...in response to your comments:

Thanks, Helen, for your comment ... especially since you were willing to forgive the fuzzy quality of the photo. I do that sometimes, in a hurry, thinking that the composition is more what I'm looking for, rather than detail, since many of my photos are intended just to jump-start a painting ... maybe a watercolor ... someday. I do appreciate your comments about the poem itself ... and typos? Hey, they happen. I make a lot of them myself, more than my share, it seems ... and I just hope I don't have to pay a penalty ... or a tax ... or something ... on all of them all at once.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now...this poem is shows the optomism and faith we all should have...seems easy to do, but the violets, daffodils...and yes, tulips, seem to come as a surprise...and renews that faith.  This poem was almost profound...guess I can drop the "almost."  Good thinking and wonderfully put together.  Oh...maybe I DO need new glasses like the opthamologist said...but the...albeit blurry...tulips don't bother me a bit. They are lovely--and thrilling.  Helen

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to the readers, for the first line...interjected words that don't belong and poor spelling. I'll try to do better next time...I always think that.  Helen