Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Breakfast for Two

(If you dropped by "Chosen Words" yesterday and found nobody home, my apologies. As you know, I'm usually here ... at the keyboard ... stringing letters and words together ... sometimes throwing in a picture, too. But yesterday ... well, yesterday ... let's just say ... I had an excused absence.)

And now I'm back:

As is sometimes the case, I was not actually a witness to the crime depicted in this poem, but the information came from a usually reliable source (not, incidentally, Luke the Cat).

I've met both principals in this case. I can believe that one of them was, indeed, engrossed in the newspaper when the action took place. He's been known the work an occasional crossword puzzle. I find it hard, however, to believe that Luke would stoop to such thievery as is detailed here.

Still, it does appear to be one of those crimes of opportunity, and when opportunity knocks ...

Good news, though: I understand that Jerry and Luke, despite this transgression, remained good friends.

Today's poem, originally published in Capper's:


BREAKFAST FOR TWO

An unsuspecting

Jerry buries his

nose in the news,

savoring the paper

while Luke the Cat

pulls a little caper

with a stealthy paw,

takin' the bacon

from Jerry's plate.

© 1998

***

Today's word: stealthy

No comments: