Tuesday, July 29, 2008

That New Diet

 

I can't really remember how long it has been since that four-letter word, c-a-k-e ... not to mention all forms of my favorite food ... dessert ...  was put on my forbidden list.

Oh, how I remember the good old days when cake was my favorite food. Oh, how sweet it was! But no more. Not even a nibble.

But go ahead. Enjoy. I won't knock your serving off your plate. I promise. Nor will I sit up and beg, like I used to. And if I whimper a little, just ignore me. I'll get over it ... someday.

The poem:

 

THAT NEW DIET

On the pastry shelf

of my mind cake

doesn't exist now,

but my poor stomach

keeps insisting that

it does. How much

longer can I take this

constant bickering?

© 1996

(originally published in Capper's)

 

 

***

Today's word (thanks to a suggestion by Southernmush): float

No comments: