Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Who Writes Poetry?

This is a rather whimsical piece which began when a certain intriguing question popped into my head and triggered a series of images.

I had fun writing it, I've enjoyed sharing it, especially with its eventual publication. Oh, and was I ever excited when it was called out for an encore appearance!

Marion Roach, whose program, "The Naturalist's Datebook," is heard on Sirius Radio ... Martha Stewart Living Radio, Sirius 112 ... read "Who Writes Poetry?" for her listeners.

In my seemingly perpetual situation, clinging by my fingertips to the trailing edge of technology, I didn't have access to Sirius Radio ... and I still don't ... but I was excited about what had happened to this little poem.

And today's art? It has no direct connection with the poem, but I liked the way the sun was breaking through the clouds ... a metaphor for a glimmer of hope, perhaps ... maybe just an interesting moment captured with a small digital camera ...

Meanwhile:

WHO WRITES POETRY?

Horses, standing head-to-tail

beside each other, the better

to swish the flies away,

are they thinking up poems?

How about cows, studiously

worrying their warm cuds?

Do mules stubbornly pursue

clip-clopping couplets, compose

sonnets, sestinas, villanelles?

Perhaps it's the tiny finch,

singing his easy promises

while she builds the nest.

But I think it might be

the solitary snail, crawling

through the night, leaving

lines going this way and that

on the sidewalk, evidence,

surely, of some kind of angst.

© 2000

(originally published in Kaleidoscope)



***

Today's word: solitary

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

I'm sorry your day didn't get off to a good start, Helen (as a non-morning person myself, I understand) ... but I'm glad the poem gave you a smile. Your own comment paid a great dividend for me ... a smile of my own in late afternoon ... even though I'm reminded that I've fallen behind ... again ... on my responses to comments on "Chosen Words" ... and must get moving. Thanks for your patience while I get up to speed again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not with it this morning...but your poem helped.  What a deligtful one...and a bit profound...for my weary brain today. Your poem gave me my first smile of the day.  Thanks!