Thursday, April 17, 2008

Ever a Circle

I made a tentative decision ... and then I hesitated.

Today's poem is written, seemingly, about autumn ... and I thought it might be pushing things a bit to focus so much on that season, when we're just emerging from its opposite, spring.

Then I took another look.

The poem is about all the seasons, not just autumn. The seasons, as I say in the poem, form a recurring circle. From that standpoint, I think it doesn't matter at which point we mount the whirling merry-go-round of seasons.

They keep coming around ... going around ... and we sometimes find ourselves complaining about this one ... too hot or too cold ... to dry or too wet ... find some fault in the present season, while looking forward to the next one ... or maybe even its opposite number.

Meanwhile, the poem:

EVER A CIRCLE

The pursuits of summer

have finally relented,

releasing children

to the autumn slide

of gathered books,

the shuffling of feet,

pencils crawling

on paper; the glimpsed

dogwood, glorious

with snowy blossoms

last spring, shows

first crimson now

on a clump of leaves.

How the months have

fallen away, piling

like shattered petals

across our memory,

in a depth sufficient

to sustain us over

another crossing

of bare-limbed winter

to spring, where

warm light is waiting

to help us celebrate

another completion

of this circle.

© 1999

(originally published in Capper's)


***

Today's word: completion

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

Yes, Magran, I'm forever thankful for that circle, even though it seems to come whooshing around faster and faster ...

And the circle of life ... especially that ... thank you for reminding us of that one, Magran.

Thank you, Helen, for that observation. I, too, like the perspective I gain from readers' comments ... as I say, so much depends on what the reader brings to the poem ... and, I might add ... on what the reader adds to the "conversation" here. I have gained so much ... simply by learning to sit and listen. Sometimes I think I should do more of that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And aren't we forever thankful for that circle?

Anonymous said...

Now, after reading the commentary (you know I always begin with the poem) I think you are absolutely correct.  This poem is as much about spring as it is about autumn, winter or summer.  The poem tends to cause me to think about ALL circles.  The circle of life for one.

Anonymous said...

I love the never ending circle we are blest with--and the poem that expresses it..  

Magran, I enjoyed your comments--as always.  All the comments people make are so interesting to read and gives extra insite to Bob's poems.