Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Daybreak, Autumn

It may have been a bit later than daybreak, but not much. The feeling of newness was still in the air as I walked the paths of one of my favorite places.

The play of light across the clouds was beautiful.

Improbable as it seems, they did look like paving stones to me. They had that worn, traveled look about them, and the early sunlight did look like they were cupping the coals of an overnight fire which had just been given a breath of morning air.

The ducks were on the pond, of course, keeping an eye on me for any move suggesting a handout for them.

And the crows, the raucous crows, who always seem to be arguing about something, were there in the trees.

It was a sort of shopping list of images, but I tried to make a little more of it than just that. I think ending with the hint of coming snow added to the mood.

The poem:

DAYBREAK, AUTUMN

Clouds hang

like paving stones

in the eastern

sky, hammered silver

cupping the coals

of early light,

while ducks glide

like fallen leaves

on the shadowed pond

and crows crowd

the feathery trees,

swaying and talking

raucously about

the chances of snow.

© 1999

(originally published in Capper's)

***

Today's word: raucously

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

Oh, I know what you mean about those crows, Magran ... even with earplugs, I can hear them arguing ... and they always seem to be doing that. Ducks, though? They're usually a little quieter ... usually ... but there are times when they raise their voices, too.

I'm glad this poem brought back memories for you, Featheredpines ... and I hope it doesn't bring snow! I'm ready for spring, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the image of ducks gliding on the shadowed pond.....but I'm not so fond of anything connected to today's word.  Crows have just never found a soft spot in my heart (or head).  As I catagorize things....crows along with their racousness are better dealt with by the masculine mind.  Feathery trees and snow, I like.  Just never liked crows, especially in bunches.  

Anonymous said...

I especially like the images this poem brings to mind.  Reminds me of carefree moments, and memories of places I've traveled and loved well.  

We had temps in the high 70s, but today it feels like autumn with a chance of snow for our area, too!  I wondering where those April showers are - frozen!