Sunday, April 13, 2008

Abandonment

Picture from Hometown

You've noticed that I write a lot about rain?

Well, yes, I do. In fact, my first collection of poems was called Chance of Rain (Finishing Line Press, 2003). My second collection, Hollyhocks, which came out late last year, has some mention of rain in it, too, and my third collection, Wood Smoke ... well, we'll see ...

Today's poem, like most of mine, is pretty straightforward ... a series of images ... the opening, in which the rain catches my attention while I'm intent on something else, reading, perhaps ... more likely, writing something ... or trying to decipher something I've written ... and, of course, the conclusion, where we have those "trickling, fading fingers clinging to the pane."

As I often say, the reader brings something special to the poem ... a like or dislike of rain in general, personal experience, the mood of the moment ... and that tends to give the poem a particular flavor for them.

I'm thankful, as I've often said, for the reader who simply stops by to read the poem ... but also for those who leave thoughtful comments ... who do something to advance the "conversation" here at "Chosen Words."

Poetry, after all, is meant to be shared ... as are the reactions to it. Today's offering:

ABANDONMENT

Like spilled needles

at first, the droplets

touch my window,

tugging at my mind.

Then, in furtive

little squirrel hops

up the slope of my roof,

great plump drops test

the surface. A distant,

gruff reply of thunder

to a flick of lightning

and the tempo quickens.

Ragtime! Rain gallops off

toward a light left on,

an invitation to dance,

and I am left to study

trickling, fading fingers

clinging to the pane.

© 2006

(originally published in A New Song)

***

Today's word: ragtime

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

Thank you so much, Featheredpines, for letting me know that you listened to that interview on WYSO this morning ... and (blush-blush) for those kind comments. I probably did have a few butterflies ... since this was my first interview ... but Conrad (see how I throw his name around like he's an old friend?) is an excellent, practiced interviewer. I thought he asked good questions, and he gave me a chance to give complete answers. Phyllis and I were listening, too ... but that's a story, perhaps, for the next installment of "Squiggles & Giggles." Again ... as Conrad would say ... thanks for listening.

And thank you, Featheredpines, for that suggestion. I'll work on that angle, too. We'll get that interview out to everybody yet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished listening to your interview online :)  You did wonderfully, and if you were nervous, you did a great job of appearing calm.  I think the tips you offered were good ones to answer Conrad's questions.  People often think there's some mysterious aura about authors and poets (I'll get to artists in a minute!) and your answers were down to earth, and encouraging.  I bet you inspired many listeners.

It was interesting the question he asked about the rain going downhill reflecting old age.  As with artists (told you I'd get to them), people often think they are conflicted or depressed souls, hiding bits of angst and gloom within their work.  I loved the way you answered Conrad that your poem was about Celebration!  Your poems shine a light that is unique in this modern, techno-age, which is why I love them :)  

Anonymous said...

I love public radio, and it was fun to listen to a station from Ohio :)

It would be great if the station could send you the interview audio file for your site!