Thursday, April 3, 2008

Fishes and Loaves

Some mornings, when I'm just getting my eyes open, beginning to bring objects into focus, the computer decides to cooperate, and things go ... well ... reasonably well. I get something posted, and I'm off the hook for the rest of the day.

But there was one morning a few months ago that signaled it just was not going to be one of those good days.

I'll spare you the details. Bottom line: There was no way the computer was going to let me get online. Why? That's probably destined to remain a mystery.

Just one of those things, I guess.

So what did I do? Well, this time ... I skipped the hand-to-hand combat with the desktop despot. I just didn't feel like doing all-out battle with it.

Instead, I decided just to go with the flow. I still had a guilty conscience about giving in so easily, but I spared myself tons of frustration.

So there it was, mid-afternoon. I'd had my walk. I had a nice, quiet lunch with a lady I've known since the previous century, and I'd had a nap ... -- er, an interlude of concentrated meditation in one of my favorite chairs ... and the computer seemed to have come around, reluctantly, to my way of thinking.

And there we were, finally, with a poem.

As I explained, the "fishes and loaves" bit in the poem may be something of a stretch, but it got somebody's attention, right? They read it, liked it, published it.

Take away that part, though, and you still have the heart of what I'm trying to say: If what I have said, or what I may yet say, touches someone, helps them in some way, simply gives them a better outlook, improves their understanding of some issue, helps them to make it through the day ... then that's "miracle" enough for me.

And when a poem I've written resonates with someone in a particular way ... especially if they are moved to tell me about it ... then that's "miracle" enough for me, too.

This one was originally published in Explorer:

FISHES AND LOAVES

The fishes

of what I have said

and the loaves

of what I may yet

have to say

would never feed

the multitudes,

but, if one crust

of my writing

has benefitted

just one person,

that's miracle

enough for me.

© 1996

***

Today's word: miracle

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

Thank you, Helen, for those kind words. I'm glad you find the poems still hold their flavor on a second sipping. That's as much a tribute to the reader as to the writer ... as I keep saying, and I really believe this ... so much depends on what the reader brings to the poem.

And thank you, Southernmush, for paying another visit and leaving those very generous comments here. Continued best wishes ... oh, and have you taken a look at the "new" Squiggles and Giggles? There's a link in the column to the left ... I'm trying posting S&G online so it won't be cluttering up everybody's e-mail boxes. Let me know, please, if you have any problems reaching it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure all agree with me on this...every one of your poems benefit the reader in some way. Since I found Chosen Word, I've never failed to be affected greatly by your writing.  Every time I read one of your poems and read it again and again, it is a lift.  It brings pleasant thoughts and, usually, ones to ponder.  It makes memories come to the surface--ones that I didn't know were still tucked in my brain.

Thank you for your wonderful concern in this poem.  

Helen  

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Brimm,

Good evening. I have to say that your writing and your many many many poems have certainly touched my life and helped me to look at things in a new way. I am definitely glad that you and Chosen Words are around. I wish I could tell you this face to face but I guess this little note is helpful too.

What you write and share is a miracle but you my dear sir are a treasure that no amount of money could match....

You have a fan and a reader in me always. Sincerly Yours, Monae