Saturday, August 16, 2008

Passages

Strange how ... and where ... poems sometimes reveal themselves to a person.

As I recall, I was sitting in the car in front of a Post Office, waiting for Phyllis to go in, mail a letter, and return.

I noticed the reflections of the vehicles going by on the street behind me ... how the warped window made them appear to be leaping ... like horses or hunting hounds ... bounding over a hedge.

I thought about reflections I had seen in store windows in my home town ... and of one window, in particular, on one of my last visits there. That store was now vacant. Oh, the memories I had of that little country store!

Then the poem started asserting itself ... I reached for a scrap of paper ... always waiting in a handy pocket ... and began writing.

The poem:

PASSAGES

The cars change shape

as they come and go

in the warped window glass

of a store that once was,

dusty now, this begrimed

keeper of secrets,

these windows that

have seen it all

in this small town: deaths,

funerals, weddings, births,

departures of its young

who sometimes come back,

stand beside a grave,

listen to an acorn falling,

slow ticking of eternity.

© 2007

(originally published in Waterways, Vol. 28, #5, 2007)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This picture did what it was supposed to do...gave me chills...if that was one of the purposes.  I've watched the small acorns fall all around the huge Live Oak in my front yard...year by year from it's first crop it produced.  I was there and thrilled.  I'd never thought of them in the way you expressed in your poem...true...and interesting, but who's counting?  I'm glad you didn't mention that aspect.  We don't think much about seasons marking pasages here in Miami (except hurricanes.) I love it when it my oak tree produces acorns...makes me feel like it's doing what it's supposed to do. We've had few squirrels around here since Hurricane Andrew--as did many species.  But...when the acorns come, there are a few brave squirells who stayed and come out of nowhere to feast...and then gone again.  

I'm so thankful for your poems and pictures and the rediscovery of the many things you reintroduce, but particularly, for you and Phyllis.  Helen

Anonymous said...

PS.  I meant that many species disappeared with Hurricane Andrew--very poorly worded on my part.  The robins used to be around and we were on the path when they fly north.  Only twice have they passed over...and they came down to line up for my little birdbath and bird feeder.  If I'd known they were coming, I'd have baked a cake...birdseed cake, that is.  There are few cardinals left down here.  They are in central and northern FL, though.  Just visited there and there they were.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of my visit to my hometown recently.  There was a farm market my grands used to take me to and it was different from many I've seen since.  I was excited to revisit it and evoke those happy memories but the windows were papered over and the market long gone.  Bittersweet feelings...

I think of the mountain here and all it's seen over the ages...

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I still can't play the poems (sound).  Thinking it must be my system somehow?  I will send you an S&G email :)