Monday, August 25, 2008

Early Writer

How do I select the poems I post on "Chosen Words"?

I suppose the question brings up an image of a blindfold ... a pointer, perhaps ...

Sometimes it is left to chance ... but there are times that a poem is selected with some forethought ... a tiny bit of that, admittedly ... but forethought, nonetheless.

Today, for example, I'm obviously running behind my normal schedule of an early posting. Just disorganized, I think ... a carryover, I suppose, of following my own advice from yesterday.

But here I am ... with a poem selected with real intent ... because of what I perceive as a slight touch of irony in the timing.

Please read on.

I write any time I can, but I've found mornings best, before other details of the day ... yesterday's unfinished chores, today's agenda ... begin pressing in.

Still, I'm not naturally a morning person.

I don't spring out of bed singing and laughing and dancing. I'm not a total grump either. It's just that I'm not fully wound at that time of the day, as evidenced by this little poem ... which is, itself, further evidence of why I don't write much rhyme, and perhaps shouldn't.

But here's the poem:

EARLY WRITER

Up at the crack of dawn

After a restless night,

Sleeves rolled up, thinking cap on.

The time has come to write.


Outline great, title gold,

The rest should be a snap,

But I feel vaguely old,

Like I should take a nap.

Still, I grope for the keys,

Get set to take the leap.

One moment, if you please:

My brain is still asleep.

© 1999

(originally published in PKA's Advocate)

***

Today's word: asleep

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

Morning has never been the best part of the day for me, Helen. Oh, there were a few exceptions ... I have enjoyed some sunrises, here and there along the way. But I just don't get in gear until later in the day. Then I start waking up ... seeing things more clearly ... start actually functioning as a thinking being ... and then I quickly check to see what I wrote ... and posted. And sometimes ... well, sometimes I do a little needed tweaking. Story of my life. But, as I say, "Chosen Words" never closes ... you're welcome to drop by any time ... so please do.

Oh, Hopper, one of my favorite artists, Kelly ... and a favorite painting, too. And you're right about "Chosen Words" being open 24/7. I used to say that "management never sleeps" ... not entirely true. I'm not sure I would be categorized as "management" ... but I do sleep. And Professor Squigglee ... well, I understand that he nods off at times, too. But "Chosen Words"? There's always a light in the window ... and the welcome mat's out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked your thoughts put on paper...early morning.  I AM a mornng person, and always counted on studying the next morning...not the night before.  Any creative juices have to be flow in the morning...or they don't at all.  It's amazing to see someone who doesn't consider himself a morning person do what you do at that time of day.  We benifit from your early morning extra fortitude.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of that Edward Hopper painting of the all-night diner.  Chosen Words is open 24/7 :)  Come on in and select from the menu of poems!  I know I do...