Friday, September 23, 2011

My Heart Listens






This poem was written during a few quiet moments on Christmas Eve, 1997. You will note that it was published approximately eight years later. Patience, my writing friends. Patience.


During those eight years it received many tweakings (that happens almost every time I look at something I've written) ... and, because I keep track of such things, I note that I did seven major revisions.


It was sent out about twenty times, and came back to me, for various reasons. Patience, remember? Ah, but then it arrived in the right place at the right time, pleased an editor, and was published.


I glory in that, not because it will make me rich or famous, but because I believe poetry is meant to be shared. I am delighted that this piece was shared with Brave Heartsreaders, and now with you.


I don't remember the weather on the evening it was written. Wintry, no doubt, with cold winds and falling snow.


It reminded me of so many winter evenings when I was growing up. What beauty the snow brought to the countryside.




What magic there seemed to be in that transformation. What music seemed to enter my being. How my heart danced at the thought of tomorrow.


And now, all these years later, my heart still "listens" ... and dances when it snows.




The poem:

MY HEART LISTENS


This winter night
like no other I have
known, trees glisten
with newborn snow,
shining armor that
seizes the moonlight,
sends it dancing
down the corridors
of my mind. Oh, this
quiet night, my heart
listens to the song
and dances, too.
 © 2005

(published in Winter, 2005 issue of Brave Hearts)


Today's word: newborn

No comments: