Monday, September 26, 2011

After Ordering




One thing I like about writing ... poetry or whatever ... is the surprise element.


I never know when a poem ... or an idea for a poem ... is going to leap out at me. Those are the ones I really like, as opposed to the thought which keeps tugging at my sleeve, day after day, trying to get my full attention.


Today's poem came to me somewhere in Ohio. I don't remember where we had stopped, or where we were headed ... probably just out for a lazy afternoon drive.


We'd found a quiet place, studied the menu, placed our orders ... and then the sounds of the place, the orderly movement of people in and out ... all of the activity began asserting itself.


I don't even remember whether I started jotting down some things then, or simply made some mental notes (risky business, because I sometimes have trouble finding 
those again), but the end result was a poem ... one that eventually found a home in a publication.


The poem:


AFTER ORDERING


As I take my first sip
of ice-cold water,
I notice the sizzle
rising from the grill,
the soft clink of a spoon
hitting someone's glass,
an infant gurgling,
insistent, distant
beeping, then, at a table
just for two, a young
couple sharing a scoop
of vanilla ice cream
that's swimming
in a delicious, sticky
sea of strawberry syrup,
and I almost want
to change my order.
 © 2006
(originally published in Capper's)
Today's word: sticky

No comments: