Sunday, September 18, 2011

After Summer






In keeping with my repeatedly-broken promise
(to myself) to be brief, I’ve selected a short poem to share today. 



I’ve written a lot of those. Perhaps it has something to do with writer’s cramp ... or writer’s block ... or maybe attention span. But that’s another story.


Briefly speaking, though, I see now that it might have been just a line or two longer ... in order to incorporate the chorus of leaf blowers (which also provide background music) ... and then I could have mentioned the dreaded snow blowers.


But I did indicate I was going to be brief, didn't I?


The poem:


AFTER SUMMER


Comes autumn,
when the mighty
chorus of mowers
ceases singing,
an intermission
too soon followed
by a chorale
of snow blowers.


(originally published in Capper’s)





Today's word: chorale

No comments: