Thursday, February 5, 2009

What a Gift!



It wasn't always thus, nor will it always be.

I'm not naturally a morning person, and I don't recall exactly what I had in mind when I wrote this one; perhaps I was trying to cheer myself up.


Perhaps I had just discovered the magic of retirement: No more punching the clock, no more deadlines, no more phones ringing ... no more ...

It may well have been that I was recalling my childhood outlook, that time in my life when each day seemed a new adventure, a new leaf, a new chapter in the book that was to become my life.


I don't know.


But I do know that I look forward to the new day now ... despite some of the concerns that always seem to have spilled over from the day before ... like computer problems ... and the frantic effort to catch up on postings here.


It does beckon like a new toy and, best of all, it comes with "batteries included," whether "just for me" or not.


WHAT A GIFT!


What excitement
as I tear off
the wrapping paper,
open the box,
and find inside
a whole new day,
batteries included,
just for me.
© 1996
(originally published in Capper's)

Today's word: gift

No comments: