Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ice-Cold Memories





When I was a youngster, winter was probably my favorite season.


Oh, I could've done without the tingling toes, the fingers sticking to cold metal ... the nose that froze ... but I loved the snow. It was like having a featherbed ... albeit a very cold one ... to romp on.

But that changed.


I suppose age has something to do with it, and I don't know if the weather is becoming more extreme ... or if I am becoming more sensitive to changes ... or it's all just my imagination.


I'm sure of one thing, though, a search of my extensive records would show that today's poem was written in the middle of one of those sizzling summer months when the pavement starts turning to goo and thoughts turn to the prospect of frying an egg on the sidewalk.


And I know this, too, I was looking for ways of surviving.


Ice-cold memories, pressed to the sizzling brow, may not be the answer, but I think they help. Right now, with the cold chasing me indoors after about ten minutes of shoveling, I'm storing up a lot of those memories.


I think I may already have more than enough to help pull me through whatever next summer's heat can bring.


The poem:



ICE-COLD MEMORIES


In the root cellar
of my mind
I have memories
of last winter
lying on the shelves
to help me survive
these front-burner
days of summer.



I shall pull them out
one by one, to press
to my sizzling brow,
daily hoping that
I have stored enough
to carry me through
until autumn
comes galloping up.
© 1995
(originally published in Capper's)

Today's word: sizzling

No comments: