Monday, May 12, 2008

Nightsongs

As some of you know, I write a lot about rain. It was such a central part of growing up in rural Southern Illinois. There were many summers when our garden wilted ... never mind the grass that seemed to turn to confetti in our yard ... the cistern ran low ...

Ah, but there were summers, too, when there was an abundance of rain ... and all was well with the world.

We city dwellers tend to forget the importance of rain. We lose touch.

This poem is an effort to restore that touch ... to explore some of the possibilities in the music ... the magic, if you will ... of rain. In the end, I guess it all boils down to "this rain tonight, tremblng leaf to leaf ... to earth."

The poem:

NIGHTSONGS

I lie listening

to the summer night,

wondering what

it might have been like

before roofs came

to glorify the rain,

to magnify the sound.

Was there gentle

crackle and murmur

of a small fire,

a faltering lullaby?

A song kept going,

stick by stick,

until the words

finally surrendered

to deep silence?

The silence of

ashes giving up

their warmth?

Perhaps there was

only the faintest

of songs, like

this rain tonight,

trembling leaf

to leaf ... to earth.

© 2003

("Nightsongs" first appeared online on PoetryTonight. It is also a part of my first collection of poems, Chance of Rain, issued by Finishing Line Press in 2003)

***

Today's word: murmur

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

Thank you, Hechan ... I'm glad you like the way the words ... and thoughts ... ordered themselves. The photo is the product of good timing and a small digital camera ... and I'm glad you like it, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!  The way the thoughts are put together is superb!  

Anonymous said...

The photographer of the tree and rain should be congratulated.  Wish I'd taken that, but I'm glad to see the work of art.  

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Brimm,

I have to say that I am glad you shared this rain poem. Today in Atlanta, Georgia it was a little cold and yes it was quite wet today because it rained today and on days like this....I long for hot chocolate or a cup of coffee, a hot shower and of course one of your poems like this one. There is something about coming to visit "Chosen Words" that warms me up a bit on such a wet day as today. I have to say that your poems are definitely put into my journals that I keep so I can have them with me so thanks. I do have to say that you should keep the rain poems coming more and more and more. I just love your rain poems they are definitely a joy to read.

I can't wait for the next poem...perhaps a poem that comes after a rainy day.....hmmmm. Thanks again Mr. Brimm and take care.