Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Trail of Thanks

Sometimes I think I spend too much time explaining the poems I post here.

Oh, I think it's helpful to describe what inspired a particular poem, where I was when I wrote it, why I went ahead to share it with you (a lot of my poems ... shy creatures that they are ... still reside in my handwritten journals ... or on tiny scraps of paper).

But the poem ... like today's ... sometimes explains itself. It requires no further words from me. And still I go on and on ... sometimes ... but not today. I am trying very hard ... today ... not to overdo it.

Speaking of thanks, though ... I'd like to thank those who have ordered copies of Hollyhocks, my second collection of poems, to be released by Finishing Line Press in early November.

These early purchases help to establish how many copies of this limited edition will be published ... AND the earlybirds are each saving $2 (during the pre-publication sales period ... which ends October 3 ... the shipping and handling charge is waived).

If you haven't ordered ... but would like to ... you may do so online. Or, if you'd rather order the old-fashioned way ... like I do ... via regular mail ... I can see that you get an order form. Just let me know.

Otherwise, I will not phone you while you're having supper, nor will I come around to knock on your door ... or twist your arm, should we bump into each other on our way to the grocery store.

Meanwhile, today's poem:

TRAIL OF THANKS

Tiny morsels

of my thanks

mark the trail

I have come,

leading back

to a grandmother

who reared me

as her very own,

etching her lessons

on the innermost

growth rings

of my young mind.

I am thankful

for her lessons,

herexample making

my journey easier.

©

1995

(originally published in Capper's)

***

Today's word:

thanks

No comments: