Sunday, September 30, 2007

Autumn Night

Perhaps these images, written about so wistfully, have little meaning to others, but to me they are the essence of things I miss about that place where I grew up.

I think it is quite natural that we have this connection with our beginnings, and quite natural that we should think of them again ... and again ... as we look back and see just how far we've traveled in all these years.

Thank goodness for that "bridge of memories." I often go strolling across it.

The poem:

AUTUMN NIGHT

Stars spilled

across dark velvet,

thin ribbon of smoke

climbing the air,

lettuce-crisp, clear,

toward a lemon moon,

square of window

whispering its light

through the trees,

beckoning to me,

wanderer still,

with only a bridge

of memories

to carry me back.

©

1996

(originally published in Explorer)


***

Today's word:

wanderer

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

Oh, I'm fine, thank you very much, Southernmush ... just finding it a little difficult some days ... most days, actually ... to get everything done in the allotted time.

I really prefer it that way ... as opposed to sitting around feeling that "there's never anything to do" ... but I regret that I'm not as prompt in responding to comments as I'd like to be. About the time I feel that I've caught up just a bit, I find that I'm falling behind again.

I do enjoy sharing my poems, such as they are, and I do appreciate the comments they draw.

I'm always pleased when someone indicates that they're looking at things in a different way now ... or "with new eyes," as I like to say. There are so many things to observe that way ... all around us ... and each has its own special "flavor," if we can just find the time to savor it.

Thank you, Magran, for dropping by again ... and for leaving those quiet observations. I love it when something I've written leaves the reader just sitting, savoring the flavor of the words. Then I know I've done it right ... and I can think of no greater reward than that. It's like pausing with a friend to watch a sunset ... then noticing how the fading rays seem to be dancing in the autumn leaves ...

And Vicki! I'm delighted that you like today's entry ... even more that you'd like to share it with your audience. I'm honored that you want to give it further mileage ... as I say, poetry is meant to be shared ... please do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello again Mr. Brimm,

How are you these days ?? I wanted to come by and let you know that I enjoyed reading this poem "Autumn Night". I have to say that I like the part about the lemon moon and whispering its light through the trees.

You always get me to look at things in a new way even if its a leaf or the moon. You remind me to appreciate ordinary things. I have to say that you have made an impact on what I write in my handwritten diary/journal. Thanks again for sharing your writing and your poems. Your poems are truly diamonds and I am glad I get to always come and share in your jewels.

Take care Mr. Brimm. You are 1 in a million to me and to the world please know that.

Anonymous said...

This poem is wonderful.  I'm not in a commenting mood......just sitting here reading the poem over and over.....feeling the crispness.....feeling the velvet.....just feeling.....longing to go back......aching for feelings that no bridge of memory can satisfy.  

Anonymous said...

I love this one, Mr. Brimm. I hope you don't mind if I to this post from my own blog?


Vicki
(http://mymaracas.blogspot.com/)