Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Autumn Crossing

Picture from Hometown

Do I seem to have autumn on my mind these days?

Oh, I do, I DO!

Autumn is one of my favorite seasons, of course ... but this year I seem to be looking forward to it more than ever before ... I've had enough of blazing hot weather ... thank you very much ... I'm looking forward to cooler nights ... good sleeping weather ... the fall colors, which I always enjoy ... the sight of leaves sifting gently to the earth ... the sounds and the feel of them as I go kicking through on my daily walk.

I am really ready for autumn. I just hope I haven't worn out the subject for you.

Today's poem happens to be one of my favorites, too. it was written on a bus, of all places. We were humming along northward, somewhere in Ohio.

The highway seemed to be an endless ribbon unspooling toward us ... but there on both sides ... oh, there was something to watch! The autumn trees were at their absolute peak, as though they were expecting us ... expecting "company."

And there we were.

I was struck by how the colors seemed to be parting, then closing behind us ... something like the parting of the Red Sea in those old movies.

Naturally, I dug out a scrap of paper and began writing ... and here's the result:

AUTUMN CROSSING

A sea of color

rages ahead,

parting for us

with the soft

hum of miles

falling away,

gently washing

back into place,

cloaking all

traces of our

safe crossing.

© 1997

(Originally published in The American Scholar, and now part of a manuscript in search of a publisher)

***

Today's word: crossing

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

Hang in there, Southernmush ... autumn is coming ... I'm almost sure it's just around the corner. It's actually a bit cooler in Ohio today ... there's the promise of cool sleeping weather ... I can hear those leaves rustling now ... preparing to put on their beautiful autumn colors and come dancing down among us. Just you wait and see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Autumn IS a beautiful season.  At the end of each, I begin looking forward to the next in, anticipation.  Living in a four season state, I start to watch for signs of change.  Beautiful and fun writing, Thanks.
                              Smiles,  Leigh

   

Anonymous said...

Is this not a lot like life?  It parts for us not with the soft hum of miles but with the harsh sounds of reality.  Gently washing back into place if we die of old age but slamming shut with a deafening bang leaving sorrow and chaos if we are taken young without warning.   I did enjoy the intent of this poem and do myself look forward to cooler times and prettier colors.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Brimm,

I have to say that I am longing for Autumn as well. I am sure tired of the heat and I can't wait for the wind to be crisp and the leaves swirling all around. You haven't worn out the subject for me keep it coming !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing this. Take care.