Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Winter Comes



No ... winter hasn't come to Ohio ... yet. But it will. This morning, though, I'm thinking ahead ... well beyond winter to ... those things I speak of at the end of the poem.
For now:
WINTER COMES
When it arrives like

a gentle rustling
descending a stairway,
the wary resident
might slam a deadbolt
against it like some
grumping, groggy bear,
were it not for a tiny
preserved memory
of a far warmer world,
where flowers are not
mere speculations,
where the ice has fallen
away, the bees jubilant.

© 2000

(received an honorable mention in a Poets Study Club competition)


***

Today's word: jubilant
Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:
Here I am snowed under again ... no, not with real snow, just those many details that seem to crowd my day ... and it's all my fault, Southernmush ... and I apologize, to you ... and others ... for failing to keep up my portion of the conversation. It seems I'm always trying to catch up ... and I appreciate your patience. I appreciate your comments, too ... especially when I discover that one of my poems has found a home in a handwritten journal. I can think of no higher honor ... and I thank you so much for that. It really helps to keep me going. Best wishes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Brimm,

Good evening. I have to say what a beautiful poem this is. Its been like Autumn has arrived early in Georgia the weather has been wonderful. Its hard to be indoors these last couple of days. I have to say that since Autumn is here Winter might not be too far behind. I long for a little snow. I don't know if it will snow here but I would love to see everything get coated in cold white sugar. Thanks for the poem I will add this one to my handwritten journal. This will be perfect for my entry tonight. Thanks again. Take care.