Friday, August 24, 2007

Accepting Change




I was out late last night. No, I wasn't partying ... well, it was a party of sorts ... I was sitting in with a poetry group ... a small group which meets fairly regularly to celebrate poetry.
And celebrate it is!
We all enjoy poetry. We sit in a small circle, share our most recent discoveries, pass around copies, discuss each offering briefly ... simply savoring some ... trying to unravel the mysteries of others.
And ... after nibbling on a slice of raisin bread ... fresh and piping hot from the oven ... well, yes, it was a party.
All the way home, then, the words of the evening kept coming back, singing to me and Phyllis. It almost seemed that The Little Red Car was humming along, too.
So I was out last night. Not too late, mind you. It was afterward ... when I sat down at the keyboard, that time really slipped away from me.
As a result of that, here I am ... lost ... well, not completely lost, but still bumping into things in this morning fog. Sleep deprived, I believe it's called.
I had hoped to enumerate some of the changes I've accepted ... even welcomed, in some instances ... along the way ... and some of those which I'm still resisting. I'm sure there have been many of each.
But I think I'd better wait until I'm fully awake ... like, maybe in a day or two.
Meanwhile, the poem:

ACCEPTING CHANGE
I'm not always

a willing partner,
but I must go
with the times,
leaving a trail
of scuff marks
where I've been
dragged along.

© 1998
(originally published in Capper's)


***

Today's word: change

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a well visited blog. I saw you updated and I hope you do not mind the invasion.    I am interested in  chosen words and how they impact us.   Your title is very telling.   The way I see it we are all cellular beings constantly in change and so there is no way to deny it.   We are in constant change on the cellular level.   I try to make new memories and advance my writing.   I thought you had an interesting journal and I hope you will visit mine.     Healing and writing is a topic I love to revisit.   Let me know more about your story.
Kindest Regards, Lindy

Anonymous said...

Change tends to remove us from our familiars. In doing so, we often find ourselves resisting to say the least. I know I wasn't ready to embrace my life in all it's changes when I came became deaf. I'm still fighting some of those changes to a degree......In the end my changes took place within my spirit as well as outward. That can't be all bad then, can it?.......(Hugs) Indigo