Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Autumn Dreams

There's something so soothing about the music of rain. It cradles us as we drift between sleep and that which becomes reality.

It wasn't raining this morning as I stirred, turned my pillow cool side up, and went drifting off again, but I thought about the coolness of that pillow, later, while I was shaving, thought about the sound of rain ... and about this poem.

So here it is again:

AUTUMN DREAMS

Softly, the rain

descends, puddling

in the darkly

glistening street,

pausing to quench

the thirsting roof

before dripping,

a muffled sighing,

to the ground.

Wind chimes stir,

and the cows

are suddenly home,

winding along

that narrow path

where the sun

lately streamed.

I stir, savoring

quilted warmth,

softness of pillow,

go drifting off

again like a puff

of milkweed.

©

2000

(originally published in St. Anthony Messenger)

***

Today's word:

puddling

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is not a good morning for me to read this poem.  I've been trying to ignore the call of the bed for the last hour and now the dreaminess (is that a word) of this poem has set me back a notch or two.  I'm glad it's not raining softly because that would add more temptation than I could handle.  Wonderful poem....so persuasive.  The quilted warmth isn't appealing just now but the "cool side of the pillow" and cool smooth 600 count sheets certainly are.  Man, am I ever going down the wrong path to bring about a productive day.  Not your fault....it's mine.  I'm not getting nearly enough sleep and am craving the quiet, peaceful coolness of stolen moments from a hectic day.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Brimm,

Good evening. Its a little after 10:00 here in Georgia and your poem certainly gets me in the mood for a good rest. We have been getting rain but not today. Your poems are always so comforting and beautiful that no one could resist reading them. Being that the weather was a lot cooler today your poem was the perfect fit for the day.

Thanks so very much for sharing this. This will certainly land softly within the pages of my handwritten journal so please know that I will give it a good home. Thanks again. Do take care and enjoy your evening.

Your constant reader,

Monae