Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer Dancers



I thought you might not mind a summer poem ... though I feel I shouldn't rush into anything like that.

I'm not ready for an abrupt plunge into summer weather, mind you ... I can take a bit of transition ... a few more days ... weeks, if you don't mind ... of the pleasantly cool weather we've been having here in Ohio.


And no really cold weather either, thank you. I don't tolerate winter cold as well as I once did, and shoveling has become more of a chore.

Of course, when summer really comes, I'll probably find myself thinking of crisp, cool mornings, the sun glinting on a new covering of snow ... my search for mittens and scarf.

Meanwhile, here's a glimpse of a place long, long ago and far away, originally published in Capper's:

SUMMER DANCERS


Flecks of sunlight
descend through
the leafy canopy,
dancing on the path,
still dancing
after the breeze
has gone off
toward a hillside
lush with wheat
that slowly leans
and straightens,
as though hearing
soft music, too.
© 2001

Today's word: canopy
Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:
... and a beautiful comment, hannah. Thank you.

1 comment: