Monday, November 10, 2008

Keeping the Riffraff Out


Today's poem is based on an old, old memory.


You know how selective memory is. I don't recall precisely where it was, or even when, but I do recall that voice ... "Are you a resident, sir?" ... from behind me as I sat on that bench.



I don't think I felt particularly intimidated or even startled ... maybe just a little offended that I didn't have the freedom to pause briefly on an unoccupied bench ... not creating a disturbance ... just sitting there with my thoughts.



Of course, the empty bench did belong to someone else. They certainly had the right to protect it from intruders like me ... I suppose. After all, I might sit there and write a poem, you know.



Now that the incident has the benefit of being distanced by time, I think it's funny. I hope the poem reflects that.



KEEPING THE RIFFRAFF OUT



I was warming a bench
in a public park,
or so I thought,
next to a fancy
high-rise complex,
when a uniformed voice
(I knew by the sound)
inquired from behind:
"Are you a resident, sir?"



Swiveling to see
who my accuser might be,
I made obedient reply:
"Why, no, just passing by."



He drew himself up
and looked me down,
then delivered the words
with muscled authority:
"This is Private Property."



That left the next move
to me, so I slowly rose
and shambled away,
comforted in knowing
that when I live there
I'll be fully protected
from riffraff like me.
© 1996

Today's word: authority

No comments: