Saturday, November 8, 2008

It's Not Easy


OK, so I was having a little fun with an idea when I wrote today's poem.


Still, it seems to speak to me, at least, of the impatience that seems to crowd into everyday life.


I hop into The Little Red Car and head to the grocery ... I get honked at when I don't start up quickly enough as a traffic light turns from red to green ... I don't select a cart as quickly as others ... I don't yield enough times to other shoppers at the ends of the aisles ... I seem to be holding up the checkout line as I fumble for the exact change ... and on the way home ... well, I get honked at again ...


Oh, I get impatient, too.


We don't have time for all that today, though. I can see that some of you are starting to fidget. Let's just say that I have my share of impatience, mainly with myself ... and the time it seems to take me to complete simple tasks.


I was thinking about that when I wrote today's poem, I guess.


I really would like to be a more patient person. I really would, except ... well, you'll soon enough see what the "except" is about, when you read today's short poem (meanwhile, thanks for your patience):


IT'S NOT EASY


I admire people
who have patience.
I wish I had
more myself,
and I'm working
on it, but it just
seems to take
so long to learn.
© 1996
(originally published in Capper's)

Today's word: impatience

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I figure I have about twenty-five more years to learn...already some days I show patience...maybe...just maybe by 102, I'll learn to have it oftener.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Helen, we seem to be moving along about about the same pace toward that goal, but I'm not sure I can maintain it for that long. Good luck.