Saturday, November 29, 2008

I Shall Write


Here's what I said about "I Shall Write" when I posted it on "Chosen Words" before:

I usually make my postings in the morning, but today was a bit different.

I had to make a medical pit stop - nothing serious, a quick tire change and I was right back into the race. But I didn't pop a wheelie and head directly back to the keyboard.


It was such a beautiful day that I frittered much of it away on an outdoors walk which included a pause in the shade to do a couple of quick sketches.


But here I am now, rather glad that I delayed today's posting. When I finally meandered back home, I found the mail waiting. I don't often get good news in the mail, but today was an exception.


Waiting in the box was a copy of ICON literary magazine, containing two ... count 'em, TWO ... of my poems. I'd like to share one of them with you now. It's nothing spectacular, but I do like the sound of it, as I did just before I sent it off to seek its fortune early this year.


I had hopes, but I've learned not to bank too heavily on those.


It's another poem about writing ... about the determination to continue writing. I still have that, thank you very much, and I'm glad I do. It helps to keep me going between those pit stops.


The poem:


I SHALL WRITE


When all light has settled
into a darkness that steals
the sustenance of birdsong,
when day is a mere flickering
across the screens of minds,
when paper has retreated
into the corridors of memory,
I shall approach the blue
smoothness of water, and lie
there beside it; savoring
its wavering coolness, I shall
write upon it as someone else
may have done before words
began making poetry, before
there was music, before
love and understanding
tried to live among us.
© 2006
(Published in the Spring 2006 - 40th Anniversary Edition - of ICON literary magazine)

Today's word: determination
Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:
Thank you so much, "This and That," for that enthusiastic response to the poem. My first impulse was to argue with you, but then ... nah. I'm glad you liked it, and wouldn't want to spoil things by arguing. Best wishes.

1 comment:

This and That said...

It is too, spectacular :)