Saturday, June 7, 2008

Staying at Haan's

Picture from Hometown

Today's poem grew out of an interlude Phyllis and I enjoyed in celebration of our golden wedding anniversary ... thanks to the generosity of our family ...

What a wonderful interlude it was. I don't want to spoil the moment by dissecting the poem ... please, just read it ... and I hope, as you do, you hear the gentle clop-clop-clop of those horses.

Originally published in Plainsongs:

STAYING AT HAAN'S

It was as though we had escaped to another

age, back to a time before TV or radio,

when news came to us from ships gliding

surely, softly up to the gull-laden docks,

when bicycles roamed the streets carrying

stacks of luggage, a forgotten letter, a loaf

of freshly-baked bread, a time of lovers

pedaling slowly past, oblivious of all else.

It was a time in the embrace of silence

like it was meant to be, not even the distant

drone of engines, the clamoring of the hurried,

a silence through which the clop-clop-clop

of horses came drifting in the night, a lullaby

reassuring to those unaccustomed to such

an absolute absence of the clutter of noise.

© 2005

***

Today's word: interlude

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

I'm glad you caught the mood of that interlude, Hechan ... and that it brought back memories ... mostly good, I hope ... for you. I know, from your comment, that the poem is working ... and what a great feeling that is. And I don't mind the word "nice" at all ... has a nice sound, I think ... and it has the feel of an electronic pat on the back. Felt good ... and I thank you for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture and poem...rather an insipid word, "nice" but they both...the picture and the poem. are very comfortable.  The verbal pictures come with a dream and feeling...I want to be in that picture perfect place--and have a few times.  Among the other places it reminds me of when I stayed with my granparents on the farm now and then...when one of my brother was sick--and that was often.  My whole family would have loved your poetry...and I do, every day.  Since I'm not a poet, I can't comment on a structural or technical level...just a "feeling" one.  I know why the pictures are good, but just know the poetry is, and not always why it is--and don't really care.  

I do love other people's comments and I know they feel and enjoy it.  I guess some people don't always talk as much as I do.  I try not to, but you pull it out.  Helen