Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Once, Perhaps

I've found it true that writing involves a lot of "stone gathering," a lot of writing that is ... well, just writing.

While that can be satisfying ... and I find that it's good activity ... it keeps my mind occupied ... keeps me from dwelling on things I needn't ... or shouldn't ... what is really rewarding is that piece of writing that has a certain quality about it ... has a gemlike quality.

Finding one of those ... or maybe two, if I'm really lucky ... is what keeps me going. And just keeping on keeping on can be important, too.

I keep looking for that subject ... that turn of phrase ... that word which will send images dancing across the ballroom of my mind.

I hope that your quest will bring a large share of those "gems" to you.

Meanwhile, the poem:

ONCE, PERHAPS

Of all the stones

we gather,

all the poems

we write,

once in a lifetime

there is one, perhaps,

that gathers light

as no other, juggles

it back aloft,

sends bright beams

dancing into the dark

that stretches

across the ballroom

of the mind.

© 1996

(originally published in ByLine Magazine)

***

Today's word: dancing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is that gem...the picture and the poem.

I haven't been able to get on line and they came out once to repair it...to no avail, but came back today...so far so good.

It's such a pleasure to be on your site again--and especially with this picture and the poem which gathers a lot of memories and thoughts.  I've collected those type of stones...literally and figuratively..all my life.  I lost all of the literal ones in Hurricane Andrew, but of course...in my travels, some sparkle to me and I have another collection going.

Today's poem sparkles, as does today's picture.

Helen