Tuesday, January 22, 2008

At Daybreak

Okay, so I'm a little preachy in this one. So be it.

That's probably sufficient commentary on this particular poem. After all, I'm not really a morning person ... never was, probably never will be ... but I have to admit that morning is ... can be ... a beautiful time of day.

There is just something about the kind of quiet which accompanies a sunrise, especially if you've pitched your tent in a good spot ... or if you're just rolling out of bed at home, feeling rested, ready to face another day.

There's something about seeing each day as an opportunity ... a new beginning ... no great need for fanfare or ceremony ... just a new beginning.

And I don't think it's too much to ask of ourselves ... myself ... (I'm not big on forcing others to see things as I do) ... to do our part to avoid ruining our environment ... after all, this is our home, this is where we live ... any more than it already has been.

That said, here's the poem:

AT DAYBREAK

The day glistens

with natal dew,

freshness riding

still-cool air,

booming red sun

nudging thin clouds

aside, a perfect

setting for pursuit

of the serious

business of saving

this while we can.

©

1998

(originally published in Candlelight Poetry Journal)

***

Today's word:

environment

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

Welcome back, Featheredpines! I'm glad you found your way to "Chosen Words" again. But no, sorry to say ... Squiggles & Giggles, the newsletter, is no more ... that was ended abruptly by AOL. Despite the fact that S&G was only going to those who had asked to be on the e-mailing list, somebody ... or some thing ... at AOL decided that S&G was SPAM. I was suddenly cut off from my e-mail account, also from "Chosen Words" ... and from my web page. I couldn't even find a human being to talk to on the phone ... until much later ... about what I perceived as an injustice ... to say the least. Meanwhile, I got a new Internet Service Provider. Eventually, I did get back to e-mail service with AOL (free) ... and to "Chosen Words." But not to my beloved (by me, at least) newsletter. I still miss S&G, for all the "conversations" I had with those on the e-mailing list, for the sunshine it brought into my life ... for the sense of purpose it gave me. But AOL intervened ... and that was that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to see you are still writing here, though I've been away too long.  Do you still have the weekly newsletter?  I would love to be back on the list.

What a lovely poem to find after so long :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about AOL and S&G!  I always looked forward to reading your newsletter.  Grr, it is frustrating indeed to try to get through to someone on the phone through all the auto-trees and directories.  I once toured a newspaper plant where not one human worked - the robots and machines made and bundled the papers like something out of a sci-fi novel.  There's something to be said about computers and software not letting us opt out of their thinking for us, humpf!

I'm still glad you're here though, writing.  Stopping in is like finding your Poetry Boutique on days I wish there really were such physical places in this mad world :)