Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Two Below

This is a winter poem. No doubt about that. It's reminiscent of Northern Illinois, where we spent several bitterly cold winters, but it was written during, and about, winter in Ohio ... or any place where temperatures sink unmercifully low, then struggle to rise, fall again, struggle again ... fall.

Little wonder that we find an unnamed couple sleeping under that "pale slice of lemon floating in thin clouds" ... "like two ... bears dreaming of spring."

This one was originally published in Southern Humanities Review, and is now part of a manuscript in search of a publisher.

TWO BELOW

Pale slice of lemon

floating in thin clouds

far above temperatures

fallen, clicking,

struggling to rise

where they were

sometime yesterday

before falling back

in the sullen darkness

that will cradle us

like two sleeping bears

dreaming of spring.

© 2006

***

Today's word: unmercifully

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

Welcome back, Southernmush! It's always good to get back home, isn't it? I hope the posting of "Two Below" and the bitter cold you're having in Atlanta is only coincidence. I'll try to send some sunshine your way ... but you know how good I am at really influencing the weather. Stay snug ... and keep writing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Brimm,

I'm back from my trip. I wanted to come and thank you for sharing this poem. Today I have to tell you that it was the coldest day of the year in Atlanta, Georgia and it felt like Winter arrived early. I think that tomorrow Georgia may wake up to snow tomorrow I kid you not. Its been a cold cold cold cold cold cold day.