Saturday, October 27, 2007

Snowy Kingdom


It was something somebody said a few days ago, I think ... as I recall, they mentioned snow ... the prospect of snow.
That was enough to bring to mind memories of times when ... well, when there was more than the prospect of snow. It was falling steadily, piling up, drifting ... looking like it was going to hang around forever.
The mere mention of snow was enough to set my mental wheels into motion ... spinning, that is. That brought to mind today's poem ... one that you've seen before.
I hope you don't mind this "encore" appearance ... and I really hope my mentioning snow doesn't bring about an actual visit by it ... not yet, at least.
Here's roughly what I said about it before:


Today started out in fairly normal fashion, considering that I had undergone a bit of outpatient surgery a couple of days ago. Breakfast? I'm sure I had breakfast, though the details are sketchy.

It's the walk I remember. Phyllis and I always try for a daily walk, if conditions are such that we have a fair chance of remaining on our feet. If not, we hazard a drive to a nearby mall for some serious walking ... and gawking.
I can only describe today's walk with ... pardon me, folks ... a four-letter word: C-O-L-D. I could feel my fingers turning brittle inside my gloves, my ears couldn't crawl far enough into my sock cap ... and I was getting an ice cream headache.
Naturally, when we finally got back home ... when we went crawling up the steps and into that warm, welcoming living room ... I immediately fell into my favorite chair ... kicked back ... and here I am again ... it's evening now ... I'm partially thawed, computer's warmed up, and I'm trying to post one of my "off-the-rack" poems.
Tonight, with snow steadily sifting down across the Midwest, I could think of no better offering than "Snowy Kingdom" ... along with one of my arty-er doodles. 


SNOWY KINGDOM
Swirling flakes

made soft landings
in the night,
leaving the mailbox
newly-crowned
and a row of cedars
bowing obediently
in its direction.

© 1994

(originally published in Capper's)



 


***

Today's word: swirling

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:
I'm glad you were enjoying warmer weather there, Southernmush ... far too early to have snow piling up underfoot. We have errands to run, things to do ... and we deserve a few more days of decently warm weather, at least. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Brimm,

It wasn't cold at all today in my neck of the woods. Today was rather wonderful. I don't know what the weather is doing lately. One day its cold and it seems like snow will fall and the next day its like summertime again I just don't know. Thanks for sharing this poem it is beautiful. I am glad that it wasn't cold today because I was out and about getting a flu shot and doing some shopping. Thanks again and do take care Mr. Brimm