Sunday, October 21, 2007

Irresistible Force

I keep coming back to this one. It's not my greatest ... just a few words strung together like beads on a string ... but they serve to preserve a memory of a time that was.

And this one's so firmly implanted ... the great smell of freshly-baked cookies wafting through the house.

Sometimes ... my subconscious at work, I suppose ... I seem to get a vague kind of signal, stop what I'm doing in mid-sentence, abandon the keyboard, and go walking briskly toward the kitchen.

There, I'm getting it again ...

But I have to resist. Cookies ... at least that kind ... the sugar-laden, chocolate-laced ... LARGE ... kind, are on my forbidden list now. My doctor seems to have ways of knowing if I've even inhaled the aroma of one of my favorites.

So I just savor the memories. Ah, how sweet they are!

The poem:

IRRESISTIBLE FORCE

Sometimes, even

wild horses

couldn't drag me

from my room,

but the aroma

of cookies fresh

from the oven

always could.

© 1996

(originally published in Capper's)

***

Today's word:

horses

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

Although my grandmother could bake a pretty mean pie, Magran, it was my Aunt Mabel, as I recall, who brought the real goodies into my life when she paid us a visit ... fudge ... and, yes, those wonderful, delicious cookies. They're still my favorite food group ... all the more, now that they've taken on a "forbidden fruit" aspect. Ah, but I still have the memories ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't have a "cookie baker" in my past....and still don't.  On this one, I'm envious.  Maybe I should consider making this a memory for my husband......nah...he shouldn't have the cookies either.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Brimm

Good evening. I had to come back to this poem because I have to share something with you. Today when I got home my mother had fixed chocolate brownies with nuts which were still in the oven and let me tell you that the aroma was oh my goodness amazing. The aroma from the brownies was so so so so so so so so so good that I couldn't wait to have one after dinner and the brownies are wonderful. I just had to share this thought with this poem because I immediately thought of this poem as I was eating my brownie so thanks. I just wanted you to know that you were a part of my day today.

Good night