Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Flight






(First, my apologies to those who may have tried to tune in WYSO, 91.3 FM, last night to hear a reading of my poem, "Lattes for Two." I learned ... well after I had posted that happy news and gone off to watercolor class ... that the segment of "Conrad's Corner" had been rescheduled for FRIDAY evening instead. My latest information is that it will air FRIDAY evening ... at 7:59. Thank you for your patience.)  

Meanwhile:

It was a hot summer day and I was about mid-way through my daily walk.


I paused in the shade near the corner, to look around and cool down a bit. I had just been standing there a few moments when it caught my eye: The shadow of something ... moving across the lawn of a nearby house.


As I followed the movement of that shadow, my gaze shifted slowly upward to the source. It turned out to be a crow, moving slowly, gracefully toward a perch high in a tree across the street.


It was quiet as it flew, then sat there looking around ... "judge-like," it appeared to me.


When I got home, I once again sat at the kitchen table and started writing. I had the makings of a poem.


Eventually, after several revisions, it became a poem ... and then, in time, was published.

The poem:


FLIGHT

The crow's shadow folds
and unfolds diagonally
across the lawn, up the fence
and away, almost before
I can fix my gaze on
that true flight taking place
well above the rooted houses.
Then silently he courses
toward a high, unobstructed
limb on which to sit
looking down, judge-like in his
dark robe, at the rest of us.
© 1996
(originally published in Read, America!)

Today's word: judge-like

No comments: