Friday, January 8, 2010

The Good Deed




(By the way, if you'd like to hear TWO of my snow-related poems being read on the air, I understand they will be ... by Conrad Balliet, on his "Conrad's Corner" program on WYSO, Yellow Springs ... at approximately 7:59 p.m. Tuesday, January 12. Oh ... and thanks for listening.) 


My reaction, at the time the event occurred, went from puzzlement ... to surprise ... to that pleasant feeling you get when somebody does a good turn for you ... and doesn't want, in fact, would refuse, anything in return.


The poem tells that story.


Oh, I suppose my neighbor was grateful for the small favors we did him and his family when they had a house fire shortly after moving in. But he didn't owe us anything for our help, either.


That's what neighbors do for each other.


He was grateful then ... and I was certainly grateful for all that shoveling he was doing for me. I had been waiting out the storm, dreading the task that confronted me.


Then, suddenly, there he was, the good neighbor.


If I were to go ahead with this, I'd probably become preachy ... so, I'll just say that this one was originally published in 
The Christian Science Monitor:


THE GOOD DEED

All day the snow
has come sifting down,
obscuring objects
in our shaken globe,
and I'm standing
staring out the window
when I see the shape
of a person who's
obviously been driven
wild by the storm,
who pauses and turns
into someone I know
... my 
neighbor,
shoveling 
my walk.
© 2003

Today's word: shoveling

No comments: