Friday, March 27, 2009

Matter of View



(My apologies for yesterday's absence ... we were having phone problems, computer problems ... endlessly ... you name it. Perhaps this interjection will serve, if not as an excused absence, at least an explained one.)


The thrust of today's poem, I think, can be summed up in one word: perception.


When the crow's call interrupted whatever I was doing, I found it rather grating ... actually, quite grating. It was like fingernails scratching across a chalkboard.


But after I gave it a bit of thought, it occurred to me that there might be another viewpoint, another way of hearing the crow's call, of seeing it as a means of communication, much as we humans try to communicate thoughts or information to each other.


Perception. It can lead to a better understanding of the world around us, if we'll let it.


Now, the poem:


MATTER OF VIEW


A crow's carping call
comes tumbling in
at my open window,
drowning out songbirds,
grating on my ears.
But to another crow
it's probably as sweet
as a baby's gurgle.
© 1995
(originally published in Capper's)

Today's word: gurgle

1 comment:

This and That said...

I think crows and magpies are very noisy! Interestingly, they are known as very smart birds, as birds go. Hmm... :)