Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A New Leaf

Picture from Hometown

Whoa! I know, it's not that time of year when we "turn over a new leaf" by resolving to do this, do that, to be a better person, be more constructive, persistent, kind, understanding ... whatever.

But when I looked briefly at "Chosen Words" this morning (briefly, because I had an early appointment) ... and rushed off without making a posting .... the mental wheels were turning at top speed.

As you may have learned, AOL Journals will be shut down permanently on October 31, 2008.

I had all day to think about this rather abrupt turn of events ... and I decided, late in the day, not to wait for AOL's action to take effect, but to act on my own.

As might be expected, I encountered some detours along the way. But here I am, in a new location for "Chosen Words." I guess it's sort of like turning over a new leaf ... or maybe it's just more like moving abruptly.

You may find things a bit messy while I'm engaged in unpacking, finding things I need, placing things here and there ... and I hope you will be patient with me while I settle in. Do drop by when you have a few minutes to spare.

Meanwhile, a poem.

I thought it might be appropriate, in view of recent developments. There's something about the "new beginning" (and this certainly marks a new beginning) that each day ... not just the first day of the month ... or the first day of a new year ... may offer.

I hope you like the poem:

A NEW LEAF

How soothing the sound

of it, like the feel

of clean sheets, crisp

and cool to the touch,

hinting airy freshness

as we snuggle in.

How comforting it is

to lie here thinking

of this whole new year

fresh and inviting,

opening the prospect

that things might be

better, perhaps could

be, if we could just

approach each new day

with the same sense

of purpose we feel

at this moment.

© 1999

(originally published in Capper's)

***

Today's word: freshness

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was wondering where you were today!  A New Leaf is a perfect poem for this occasion :)  I've left you a note in the news space.