Saturday, September 20, 2008

Brittle Poems

 

Still another poem about writing, but without any technical advice. No how to-- piece. Instead, some sounds, some images painted with words. Add a bit of a twist with "fireflies ... looking for someone with a jar," and there you have it.

Many of my poems are "little thoughts" ... whether they blink on and off is another matter ... but they are ordinary little topics, depending a great deal on what the reader brings to them for completion.

Also, I keep saying that poems are meant to be shared ... so much depends on "someone who/ will catch them, enjoy/ them, let them fly again."

And there are so many out there worthy of being caught ... enjoyed ... shared.

The poem:

 

BRITTLE POEMS

My poems are written

on brittle paper, little

thoughts that blink

on and off like fireflies

scouring summer nights

looking for someone

with a jar, a quick

hand, someone who

will catch them, enjoy

them, let them fly again.

© 2001

(originally published in Capper's)

 

                                ***

Today's word: brittle

(Oh, another installment of "Squiggles & Giggles" has been posted ... with an update on the weather and The Little Red Car ... and a recording of my reading of "Bubble" ... and there's a link in the lefthand column) 

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

I like that scenario, Featheredpines ... I really do ... now if I can just figure out a way to set it in motion. I'll keep working on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very fond of firefly imagery :)  I am picturing a little video sequence of paper fireflies twinkling in a jar set on a windowsill under the quarter-moon...