Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hello, Morning

During my working years, mornings were not my favorite time of day, largely because of the early hour at which my work days began, partly because of the pressures of work.

Ah, but retirement brought a change. Now I could sleep in, if I chose, and I could ... within certain limits ... set my own agenda for the remainder of the day.

So what did I do? Miracle of miracles, I started getting up early ... voluntarily ... and I found things to occupy my day ... a bit of art, a bit of writing, a bit of walking, a bit of watching the sun come creeping up over the horizon ... or watching it melting slowly into the western rim of the world.

The poem:

HELLO, MORNING

Early light

feels its way

across the top

of my fence,

gently warming

weary, weathered

boards, faint

yellow softness

spreading like

creamy frosting

on this new day.

© 1997

(originally published in Capper's)


***

Today's word: melting

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like the word pictures you paint!  I can see and feel it.    

Anonymous said...

soon it will be morning for me. I had better get off this computer and go to bed
Marti