Saturday, January 6, 2018

Winter Comes








(Just a spur of the moment shot I took of a snow-covered table sitting alone outside a dining place; it reminds me of one of my favorite foods, now on my forbidden list: C-A-K-E)

We've been lucky. The worst of winter weather ... despite bitter temperatures and some snowfall in this area ...  hasn't come to this part of Ohio ... unlike a lot of other places ...  

But winter will come, believe me. 

Today, though, I'm thinking ahead ... well beyond winter to ... those things I speak of at the end of the poem.

Take a look, please:

WINTER COMES

When it arrives like
a gentle rustling
descending a stairway,
the wary resident
might slam a deadbolt
against it like some
grumping, groggy bear,
were it not for a tiny
preserved memory
of a far warmer world,
where flowers are not
mere speculations,
where the ice has fallen
away, the bees jubilant.

© 2000 

(received an honorable mention award in a Poets Study Club competition)

Today's word: jubilant

No comments: