Sunday, December 3, 2017

Expectancy


Stump.jpg























This is fairly typical of the subject matter of my poems. 

I write about the things at hand ... familiar, everyday things that I understand, or the very commonplace things that I'm seeing as though for the first time. 


I don't pretend to possess any great philosophical depth, any unique knowledge. It's more like I'm inviting the reader to enjoy a particularly beautiful sunrise, or a sunset with me ... or even the winter rain as it begins freckling the sooty skylight. 


While I'm listening to the winter rain, I'm often thinking ahead to the sunrise that eventually will follow, not today, perhaps, but tomorrow. 


Thank you for pausing to savor these images with me:




EXPECTANCY

I pause in my reading

to sit watching the sooty
skylight becoming freckled
with winter rain, little
apostrophes that mark places
of omission, brief absences,
contractions of fuller things
that might otherwise run
together to become trickling
thoughts, not crystalline yet,
but catching this late light,
a tiny universe expectant.

© 2006

(part of a manuscript in search of a publisher)



***
Today's word: sooty

No comments: