Tuesday, September 6, 2016

My Window





I write a lot about writing. Don't get me wrong ... I'm no expert. 

am intrigued by the process, the way ideas come creeping up, the shape-shifting of words and phrases, the way poems are born.


I write essentially for myself, expressing my feelings, my thoughts, my dreams, in the hope that I might understand them better.


Still, much of the process remains a mystery to me. I am intrigued, entranced sometimes, by that process.


And I share. What I've written is always shared with Phyllis, who has sat through so many first readings, who has given me so much encouragement, that I shall never be able to repay her.


I share some of what I've written with poetry groups.


I share when I give public readings.


I share by way of this journal. I share when an editor discovers something I've written, likes it, publishes it.

Oh, I share.

And I depend on the listener or reader to share reactions with me. I really do. I value these reactions, because they provide a measure of whether I have truly hit the mark with what I have written.


They tell me much about what I have written, of course, but their reactions also tell me something about the listener or reader ... the poem becomes that window through which we view each other.


Thank you for looking in while I continue looking out.

The poem:


MY WINDOW

The pristine page
is a window
through which
I view the world
with my imperfect
vision, attempting
to make sense
of what I see,
while the world,
at least a small
portion of it,
stares back, trying,
equally, to see
what’s up with me.
© 2000
(originally published in PKA's Advocate)

Today's word: pristine

No comments: