Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Driving to Marengo




This is one of my favorites, largely because of the memories it has preserved of a young family taking affordable outings.


We were living in Northern Illinois at the time, and Marengo was one of our favorite destinations.


Memories of those outings were still "rotating on the carousel of my mind" as Phyllis and I returned from a now-rare outing, a trip out of town.


Traffic had thinned a bit (all the trucks, buses and cars of the world had gone zip-zip-zipping past us ... because I always poke along at the posted speed limit).


During those few moments when we had only the humming of our own car's tires to keep us company, my thoughts drifted toward those summertime outings.


What delicious memories! I had no choice. I had to dig out "Driving to Marengo" and share it with you again:


DRIVING TO MARENGO

We urged the old station wagon
along curving country roads
toward that place just across
from the school, to consume
those remarkable foot-long
hotdogs with chili peppers
and onions, dripping mustard
and juices, filling the air
with an aroma that lingered
all the slow, dark drive home,
and for days afterward,
like a spirit moving softly
among us, implanting memories
still turning, slowly rotating
on the carousel of my mind.
© 1998

(originally published in Raintown Review)
Today's word: delicious

No comments: