Sunday, November 10, 2013

Running the Hurdles





This photo was taken some time ago. I had a new camera ... a new "toy," if you will ... and I understood, from a quick reading of the instructions, that it had a built-in timer which allowed the photographer to be in the picture. 

Aha! A self-portrait! 

I thought I'd try a profile shot ... and I did. Trouble was, I was concerned that nothing seemed to be happening. 

Then, just as I turned to see what had gone wrong, something did happen ... and you see the result. 

It wasn't what I expected, but I never ... almost never ... throw anything away without finding a use for it ... so here it is. 

Oh, and I almost forgot ... today's illustration is fitting, I think, because I'm preparing for a move ... and if you've ever moved, I imagine you know what I'm going through.
  

Today's poem, I think, cries out for more poetic detail ... and more detail would call for more than its eight short lines could deliver.


The poem may, in fact, have been considerably longer when it was first written ... but I was under the mistaken impression that Capper's only published eight-line poems.


See? I can be brief.


The poem:


RUNNING THE HURDLES

Have you
ever noticed
how many more
things go wrong
when you're trying
to get away
 early, 
or make up
for lost time?
© 1997

Today's word: hurdles

No comments: