Friday, May 17, 2013

Matter of View






The thrust of today's poem, I think, can be summed up in one word: perception.


When the crow's call interrupted whatever I was doing, I found it rather grating ... actually, quite grating. It was like fingernails scratching across a chalkboard.


But after I gave it a bit of thought, it occurred to me that there might be another viewpoint, another way of hearing the crow's call, of seeing it as a means of communication, much as we humans try to communicate thoughts or information to each other.


Perception. It can lead to a better understanding of the world around us, if we'll let it.


Now, the poem:


MATTER OF VIEW

A crow's carping call
comes tumbling in
at my open window,
drowning out songbirds,
grating on my ears.
But to another crow
it's probably as sweet
as a baby's gurgle.
© 1995

(originally published in Capper's)

Today's word: gurgle

No comments: