Thursday, November 22, 2012

Shovel? Maybe Later



(One of the many photos I've taken during my walks here and there ... a scene you might see, if you happen along in the right season and look out a door in one of the tunnels at Wright State University


Sometimes, it seems, I have this thing about "going against the season."


A couple of times a year it happens ... in summer ... and winter. Spring and fall? Hardly ever.


What do I do? Oh, when we're sizzling in summer temperatures, I like to think about those cool ... er, cold ... days and nights of winter.


And in the winter, of course, when I'm freezing, I keep my mittens on ... and try writing something about summer.


Perhaps I should have my mittens on right now ... though I've found that to be something of a hindrance, when it comes to typing.


Oh, I know, recent conditions haven't really been that bad ... temperature-wise. But it's coming. I know it is. I've already given some thought to locating the snow shovel, so when it does happen ... 


And our shy little car ... I can tell ... is beginning to think about those icy, slushy, slippery-dippery streets, too ... that difficult climb up the steep, ice-covered approach to that magnificent driveway at Brimm Manor ... all that. 


It's coming.


Meanwhile, here's a glimpse of my firm resolve in the face of that, when it does arrive:


SHOVEL? MAYBE LATER

From door to street
Isn't all that far,
But with a sleet-
And snow-bound car
Stuck in the drive,
I might just as well
Take another five
And snooze a spell.
© 1995
(originally published in Mature Living)

Today's word: later

No comments: